Keewaytinook Okimakanak (KO) is a non-political Chiefs’ Council serving six remote First Nations communities; Deer Lake, Fort Severn, Keewaywin, McDowell Lake, North Spirit Lake, and Poplar Hill First Nations. The organization is directed by the Chiefs of the member First Nations who form the Board of Directors. Through its close awareness of community needs and its team approach, the Council advises and assists its member First Nations.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Public Works Manager, the Project Technologist provides advisory services to the KO member First Nations communities relating to projects aimed at continued development of each of the communities.
The Project Technologist works closely with other KO Public Works staff and community leadership to achieve and maintain progress toward community development. A disciplined and knowledgeable professional, the Project Technologist must work well independently and have experience in the development, planning, and implementation of infrastructure projects.
- Community College or University graduate in the Technology/Technician related fields or an associated specialty
- Current member or ability to complete certification to obtain membership in Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT)
- Current member or ability to complete certification to obtain membership with the Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA)
- The ability to read/interpret blueprints and drawings
- Strong communications skills (written and verbal) in English
- Ability to speak one of the KO local dialects is an asset
- Able to work effectively with others and to work independently
- Must possess a valid Ontario’s Drivers License
- Must have access to a licensed and insured vehicle
- Good coordination, manual dexterity, spatial visualization, and mechanical skills
- Having another Trade Certificate (welding, pipefitter, refrigeration, surveying, etc.) considered an asset
- Strong computer skills including fluency with the Microsoft Office Suite as well as web-based data entry systems for payroll and expenses
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Public Works Manager with developing, maintaining, and executing project plans
- Developing Terms of Reference for recruiting Engineering Consultants
- Participate in the selection process for retaining Engineering Consultants and Contractors
- Prepare funding applications to secure project funding
- Serve as a liaison between project team members, community leadership, and other departments or stakeholders
- Track milestones and deliverables
- Assist with creating and maintaining project documentation, such as status reports, change logs, and meeting minutes
- Help monitor project risks and issues, and escalate to the Public Works Manager as needed
- Help create and distribute project communications and manage file storage
- Help coordinate project meetings and events
- Help track project expenses and budgets and provide appropriate financial reporting
- Perform quality assurance checks on project deliverables
- Help develop and implement project test plans
- Assist with training project team members and end users on new systems or processes
- Help troubleshooting project issues and problems
- Other duties as required
Working conditions expected in a Public Works environment include:
- Indoor and outdoor work under a variety of weather conditions
- Frequent use of computers and other related equipment
- Lifting to 25 kg occasionally
- Exposure to physical risks using standardized safety precautions, including but not limited to:
- Exposure to dust, fumes, oils, and unpleasant odours
- Exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Protective hearing equipment will be provided
- Exposure to slippery surfaces, working around high temperature equipment, etc.
- Wearing protective equipment, including but not limited to specialized uniforms, eye safety glasses, hearing protection, work boots, gloves, and hardhats
- Travelling on small aircraft to remote communities. Frequent over night remote travel is expected.
A CAREER WITH KEEWAYTINOOK OKIMAKANAK OFFERS YOU
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive benefits package and pension plan contribution upon successful completion of a probationary period
- Opportunities for training and growth
*All applications must be received through our online portal: https://recruiting.ultipro.ca/KEE5000NCC/JobBoard/0f7cbf31-f68f-4b9a-a175-34c1162ee91c/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=878c1efb-c1b6-4ef5-a799-64d121e6f5e1
Click on ‘Apply now’ to submit your application.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.ca.