Nakina Lumber Inc.
Position Title: Heavy Equipment Mechanic/Apprentice
Posting ID: USW2023-04
Posting Date: Refreshed September 1, 2023
Job Type: Permanent full-time/ Contractor opportunities available
Salary: Competitive salary and benefit package
Supplemental Wages: Overtime opportunities
Work Site: Nakina, in-person
Hours/Shifts: Flexibility in shift scheduling
Located in beautiful northern Ontario, Nakina Lumber Inc. (Nakina Lumber), a subsidiary of the Buchanan group of companies, is a fully functioning lumber mill, manufacturing finished lumber products from trees harvested from the Ogoki Forest. With up to 120 employees at any given time, Nakina Lumber provides a variety of employment opportunities for individuals, from general labourer positions, which require no prior experience, to skilled trade positions, such as industrial electrician, millright, saw filer and heavy equipment mechanic. Various supervisory opportunities also exist, across all aspects of the operation. Nakina Lumber is committed to ensuring at least 75% of its workforce is indigenous and is further committed to supporting the local economy through its targeted recruitment across Greenstone and the three First Nations of Aroland, Eabametoong and Marten Falls. Nakina Lumber is certified through the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC Certified).
Why Nakina Lumber?
Steady, year-round employment; on-the-job training; opportunities for advancement; healthcare benefits (drug, dental, vision, extended healthcare); life and disability insurance; pension; free, on-site parking with electrical hook-up; free bus or van transportation to and from the worksite, for Monday to Friday dayshift, for those without personal transportation; provision of personal protective equipment at no cost to employees; a subsidized lunch program; access to an on-site Counsellor & Case Manager; a friendly, supportive environment committed to employee success. Assistance with relocation expenses and temporary accommodation may also be available.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Heavy Equipment Mechanic is responsible for repair, overhaul, maintenance, service and reconditioning of heavy equipment used across Nakina Lumber operations. Apprentices have the valuable opportunity to learn and grow in an environment which provides extensive hands-on experience. Heavy equipment mechanics working with Nakina Lumber also have the opportunity to negotiate shift schedules to support that ever-important work-life balance.
• To reliably attend work for scheduled shifts.
• To work safely, in compliance with all company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), policies and procedures and relevant legislation.
• To troubleshoot and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions, determine extent of repair required, adjust equipment and/or repair or replace defective parts and test repaired equipment for optimal performance.
• To clean, lubricate and perform maintenance work, as required.
• To service attachments and working tools.
• To ensure environmental compliance.
• To provide instruction and facilitate learning for apprentices.
• To address concerns directly with the appropriate supervisor, or lead hand in the absence of the supervisor, in a timely manner, and to support problem solving around the concern(s) brought forward.
• To conduct oneself in a manner that contributes to a culturally safe, inclusive and respectful workplace.
•Other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time.
• Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training.
• Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic Trade Certification preferred.
• Heavy-Duty Equipment Technician, Red Seal Endorsement preferred.
• A minimum of two years experience preferred, with experience inclusive of working on heavy trucks, heavy construction equipment, forestry and logging equipment, bulldozers, graders, dump trucks, forklifts, log loaders, excavators, etc.
• Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks, with minimal supervision.
• Receptive and responsive to receiving direction and supervision.
• Access to a personal vehicle and valid driver’s license required.
• An ability to commit to reliable and consistent attendance.
• A strong work ethic.
• An ability to focus in a loud environment, surrounded by lots of activity.
Interested candidates, please forward an up-to-date copy of your resume and cover letter to the attention of Human Resources at email@example.com.
***This is an equal opportunity position***
In order to ensure equal opportunity during the recruitment and selection process, Nakina Lumber provides accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.