Website Grand Council Treaty #3
GRAND COUNCIL TREATY #3 EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Position: Youth Diversion Coordinator
Category: Full-time position
Location: Kenora, ON
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Grand Council Treaty #3 Kaakewaaseya Justice Services, invites applications from Treaty #3 Nation for full-time Treaty #3 Youth Diversion Coordinators (YDC) in the Kenora catchment area of Treaty #3. The YDC will provide support and one-on-one services to youth community members referred for diversion by the community, police, and courts. The role involves working closely with Treaty #3 Community Justice staff to coordinate and facilitate the diversion process and assist youth in accessing appropriate resources and services.
· Arranging for culturally appropriate supports for Indigenous accused persons, victims or offenders, including access to Elders
· Determining which clients are eligible for this alternate approach to sentencing and consulting with these clients as to which sentencing system they want to take part in
· Explaining to clients, the victim and other relevant persons of the procedure for alternate sentencing (diversion)
· Liaising with counsellors, Treaty 3 Police, OPP, Crown, Defense and court personnel during the alternate sentencing process
· Attending court sessions to ensure clients are in attendance and speaking on behalf of clients
· Ensuring that clients in the diversion program are following the diversion plan
· Assisting clients in determining what additional support is needed, such as housing, health, social assistance and education, and contacting agencies or government departments who provide the needed support
· Maintaining client files that document the offence, other pertinent information, and the client’s diversion plans and progress.
· Facilitation of diversion and Justice circles
The YDC should have some experience in fields of social work, mental health, law, or related area. Experience and knowledge of First Nation issues and the current legal system is an asset.
The following will be expected of a successful candidate:
· Working knowledge and understanding of local Indigenous cultures, histories, practices, and traditions. Ability to speak Ojibway or Oji-Cree is an asset
· Working knowledge of Indigenous services and resources available in the Kenora area.
· Ability to articulate criminal and social justice issues; Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
· A genuine interest in seeing community members develop and succeed
· Assertiveness, self-starter, self-motivated
· Computer proficiency
· High degree of professionalism and discretion
· Organized and punctual
· Requires little supervision
· Understand and believe in a holistic, restorative, strength-based approach to supporting justice-involved individuals.
· Facilitating healing circles when required
· Other related duties as assigned
· Valid driver’s licence and reliable vehicle
Please send resume and cover letter including three (3) references to:
Human Resources Manager
Grand Council Treaty #3
P.O. Box 1720, Kenora, Ontario P9N 3X7
Competitive salary and benefits. We thank all those who apply. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Submission of criminal record check required prior to offer of employment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.