Indigenous Food Facilitator
Website Roots Community Food Centre
Job Opportunity with Roots Community Food Centre Indigenous Food Facilitator
The Indigenous Food Facilitator position will drive the development and facilitation of food workshops and programs for youth, adults and seniors.
Job Term: 1 year with the possibility of extension
Start: January 2023. Weekend and evening work will be required. Wage: $24/hr; 40 hrs/week, full benefits after 3 months. Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Roots Community Food Centre is first and foremost about working with people—in particular, youth and young adults. We seek to create meaningful opportunities to engage our community, using food as the medium to connect with the community and each other. We work hard to find the delicate balance between challenge and achievement in all of our program and projects.
Roots CFC is a small, grassroots organization that works in many sectors of our community. Every position involves elements of organizational development and maintenance. We aim to foster a workplace that is transparent, inclusive, progressive, and productive. As staff, we work collaboratively, we work hard, we do what needs to be done and we try to keep the big picture in mind.
There’s no real typical day at Roots CFC, and schedules often changes depending on the weather, who shows up or what’s going on in the world. We work hard to be nimble and adaptable for the changing needs of the folks we work with. If you’re looking for a fast paced, multifaceted, energizing and rewarding work environment that will challenge you, then we want to hear from you!
www.rootscfc.org email@example.com 807.285.0189
The successful candidate will bring an Indigenous food lens into our work with schools and community to include traditional food connections locally and in our region. Specifically, responsibilities include:
– Work closely with teachers and students during the school year to facilitate food literacy and outreach activities in local schools;
– Work closely with other program facilitators to coordinate school and community programs;
– Design, adapt and deliver:
o Fun, engaging, age-appropriate workshops fory outh that explore traditional food ways
o Engaging, fun, inclusive, and accessible workshops, community cooking sessions for adults experiencing social isolation including, but not limited to, folks facing systemic barriers to affordable housing, decent employment and income, and immigration status.
o Support food access programs using traditional foods in the Roots to Harvest kitchen
– Maintain or establish good communication and collaboration with community partners.
– Support all program evaluation activities including adapting evaluation tools, data collection, and analysis as needed.
– Support other existing Roots to Harvest projects and events, such as SHOW and UYFP, as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
– Experience cooking for groups or family
– Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with others, including in a facilitation role
– Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community (people of different ages, abilities, cultural backgrounds etc)
– Strong oral speaking, communications and interpersonal skills
– Knowledge of Oji-Cree language an asset
– Experience hunting, trapping, fishing, foraging and/or using country foods
– Very comfortable and enjoy working with teenagers and adults
– Effective communication and organizational skills
– Valid Class G drivers license with a clean driving record
– Current safe food handling and first aid certification (or willingness to get)
– Up to date Covid-19 vaccination record (this is a public facing job working with many vulnerable populations).
Priority will be given to Indigenous individuals
If you believe you are a great fit and do not meet the above eligibility requirements please submit a resume and make note of that in your cover letter.
Please submit a resume (including references) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the job title in your email.
Roots CFC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.