Website Ontario Provincial Police
Communications Operators serve a critical role in supporting OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) operations. They are the first point of contact between the public and OPP, and directly support frontline operations in maintaining officer and public safety.
Communications Operators work in a fast paced environment where the application of speed and accuracy is critical in urgent and sometimes life threatening emergencies.
To apply as a Communications Operator with the OPP, you must:
– Minimum 18 years of age
– Canadian citizen or permanent resident
– Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), or its equivalent (i.e. grade 12 from any province of Canada). Candidates who do not have a grade 12 diploma, but have completed a college diploma program or a university degree program will be considered as having a grade 12 diploma. Applicants educated outside Canada should refer to the Government of Canada – Education Assessment Resources.
– Not have any criminal charges pending before the courts.
– Be of good moral character.
– Be available to work shifts (days, nights, weekends, and holidays)
Have the ability to hear and readily relay information accurately, while operating various methods of communication equipment (Computer Aided Dispatch, radio system, telephones).
– Have well-developed communication skills and be able to perform well in highly stressful situations.
– Have strong multitasking skills that are not compromised in a stressful environment.
– Successfully pass the Selection Process.
– Be proficient in English, and French if the position is bilingual.
– For French language-designated positions, bilingual applicants must also pass the French Language Proficiency Evaluation in accordance with the standards set by the Government of Ontario.
– Receive incoming emergency 911 and non-emergency call from the public.
– Operate various computerized communication consoles and associated equipment to receive, assess, and relay information from the public to police personnel.
– Receive calls via the internal police lines and take the appropriate action.
– Dispatch officers and respond to requests from police personnel.
– Categorize and prioritize numerous types of calls.
– Maintain radio contact with a varying number of frontline members and resources.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 6 months
Salary: From $33.41 per hour
10 hour shift
12 hour shift
8 hour shift
Day Shift (required)
Night Shift (required)
Overnight Shift (required)
Work Location: In person
Full details and the application to apply can be found at www.opp.ca/pcc
To apply for this job please visit www.opp.ca.