Website Gizhewaadiziwin Health Access Centre
Registered Practical Nurse
FTE: 1.0 x2
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Gizhewaadiziwin Health Access Centre is a community based, Indigenous controlled, Primary Care service that combines western curative care with traditional Ojibway healing philosophies and practices. The Access Centre provides clinical, social, health promotion and preventive services, as well as, access to traditional Ojibway healers.
The Gizhewaadiziwin Health Access Centre, located in the heart of the Fort Frances Tribal Area and the Rainy River District, is the result of a unique partnership between area First Nations, the United Native Friendship Centre and the Sunset Country Metis.
Summary of Position:
Under the direct supervision of the Clinical Lead, the Registered Practical Nurse will provide nursing care within the scope of an RPN working in a primary care clinic. The Registered Practical Nurse supports Primary Care Providers with health assessments prior to patient appointments as well as delivery of services such as immunization and cancer screening tests as outlined in established Medical Directives.
The RPN will also conduct COVID-19 Screening, swabbing and testing as needed. Health education and monitoring of health status is also a key component of the RPN role.
• Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing.
• Current Ontario RPN License.
• Good standing with the College of Nurses.
• Experience working with electronic health records considered an asset.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work as a team member.
• 2 years of related/applicable experience in a community or Primary Care setting working with Indigenous Clientele is preferred.
• As per policy, applicants should note that COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment within Gizhewaadiziwin Health Access Centre.
• Experience and understanding of local Indigenous communities and culture within the Rainy River district an asset.
• Ability to speak Ojibway is an asset.
• First Nations, Inuit or Metis candidates are encouraged to apply. Please self-identify.
• Current CPR certification.
As a part of our team, you will be eligible for:
• 100% employer-paid health care benefits;
• Become a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP);
• Six (6) paid Personal Leave Days a year;
• 3 weeks (starting) paid vacation subject to increase quickly over tenure;
• Invited to actively participate in cultural and traditional teachings and knowledge.
A complete Job Description is available by contacting Cheryl McEvoy, Human Resources/Office Manager at 274-3131.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume, covering letter, 3 work related references (one must be from a current or most recent supervisor) and written authorization to contact references.
Attention: Personnel Committee
Gizhewaadiziwin Health Access Centre
RMB 2004, RR #2
Fort Frances, ON P9A 3M9
We thank all candidates in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Gizhewaadiziwin is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.