Website Red Sky Métis Independent Nation
Mineral Development Advisor (MDA)
The MDA will participate in the environmental consultation related to the evaluation of mine permitting and other consultation projects submitted by various proponents. The MDA will be responsible for evaluating the potential impacts to the Red Sky Métis Independent Nation (RSMIN) community, located within the Robinson Superior Treaty 1850 territory. The MDA represents the RSMIN community and its values, and is the liaison between the community and the proponents.
Through data analysis, and attending meetings and information sessions with subject matter experts, the MDA will build strong communication and relationships with related ministries and proponents. The MDA will collect, analyze, summarize and report pertinent data in order to assist the RSMIN community in reaching their objectives. These objectives include, and are not limited to: impacts to aboriginal and treaty rights that may be adversely affected by proposed mineral exploration activities; mitigating such impacts; and the assessment of environmental, cultural, and social impacts.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Understand and communicate the RSMIN consultation process to proponents.
- Provide expertise and work with teams and committees to make assessments and prepare impact, mitigation, amendment or other reports and recommendations and responses for council approval.
- Consultation activities include and are not limited to: exploration plan submissions, exploration permit applications, closure plans and closure plan amendments, notices of proposed early exploration activities (exploration plans and permits); notices of activities requiring closure plans and closure plan amendments (advanced exploration and mining development), regulatory processes under the Mining Act.
- Form positive lasting relationships with proponents and ministries.
- Manage and respond to project related email and phone calls.
- Meet with RSMIN Council and or Consultation Committee as required and provide expertise where applicable.
- Conduct education and awareness-building activities.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by the consultation committees.
- This position is based at the main office in Thunder Bay and may require occasional travel within the city of Thunder Bay and surrounding areas, as well as some travel away from Thunder Bay.
- Complete and Maintain ENDM Mining Act Awareness Program and obtain and maintain the required knowledge and skills for the MDA position.
- Make site visits as necessary.
- Mandatory attendance at the main office during Core Hours from 10:00am until 3:00pm; and Flex hours are offered to offset life scheduling and meetings. e.g. a day of 7am-3pm or 10am-6pm or 10am-3pm + 6pm-9pm; and
- A balance of 37.5 hours per week must be maintained, and hours balanced each pay cycle; and
- To keep track of time and accountability of time.
- Bachelor’s degree or acquiring a degree in a relevant field of study or 2 years of relevant experience in a Mining / MDA / Geology related capacity or
- Expertise/degree in Biology or Environmental Studies
- Must have knowledge of: the mining sequence and its challenges and opportunities;
- Mining Act approvals and their associated timelines; technical knowledge and expertise with regards to mineral exploration methods, terminology, etc.
- Experience in a field relating to confidential information
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to present and facilitate small and large scale meetings
- Proficiency in Windows 10, word processing and Internet applications.
- Self motivated and ability to work in a team or with little or no supervision
- Ability to record and report accurately and proficiently
- Team oriented
- General understanding of the mining and regulatory processes in Ontario
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract record.
- Criminal background check upon request.
Earth Sciences, Environmental, Biology areas of study, Indigenous areas of study,
Bilingual (French and English)
Benefits: Employee Health Spending Account (tax-free)
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract (part-time may be considered for the right candidate)
Salary: $23.00-$25.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift (part-time may be considered for the right candidate)
- Monday to Friday
Willingness to travel:
- 25% (preferred)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.