Casual Facilities Technician
Website Kenora District Services Board
Join Our Team – Casual Facilities Technician – Kenora – Kenora District Services Board (kdsb.on.ca)
Dedicated to improving everyday lives, the Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) is the integrated service delivery agency providing help and support when you need it. With forward-thinking and engaged employees, we deliver Ontario Works, Social Housing, Early Learning and Child Care, and Land Ambulance to current and future clients.
We are seeking to hire Casual Facilities Technician located in Kenora, Ontario to join our Infrastructure team. Our employees enjoy a healthy work environment, development opportunities, and an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
Reporting to the Maintenance Coordinator, the Facilities Technician is responsible for assisting in the delivery of minor capital renewal projects, maintenance, and energy programs, as well as other facilities management activities for the portfolio of assets that are owned, leased, or occupied by the KDSB. Facilities include but are not limited to administrative office spaces, community and senior’s housing complexes, emergency shelters, supportive/transitional housing projects, EMS bases, childcare facilities, and other organizational facilities. Assets also include solar PV plants, onsite water and sewer treatment systems, and fleet vehicles.
Key responsibilities include:
- Complete preventive maintenance and repairs as directed by the Maintenance Coordinator and daily work order system. The scope includes general carpentry, interior and exterior finishes, millwork, building envelope systems, plumbing, heating/cooling, and electrical (within the scope of the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) Continual Safety Services (CSS) Program).
- Operate, monitor, troubleshoot and perform routine maintenance on heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, air compressors, chillers and refrigeration systems, water treatment systems, fire alarm and suppression systems, emergency power and lighting systems, pumps and pumping systems, low pressure boilers, electrical systems, exhaust hoods, building control and automation systems, and renewable energy systems.
- Complete move-out repair and suite preparation between tenancies. This includes a wide range of building repairs including general cleaning and disposing of debris/furnishings, demolition, stripping and waxing floors, reflooring, drywall repairs and painting, electrical and plumbing repairs, kitchen and bath installations and all other work required to offer housing units in a timely manner.
- Complete groundskeeping including but not limited to lawn care, maintenance of flowers/hedges/trees, clearing debris, snow and ice removal, sanding, maintenance and repair of walkways and fences, and similar tasks.
- Participate in KDSB’s Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Plans. This includes but is not limited to aiding tenants in cases of fire alarms under the direction of local fire authorities, inspecting and testing fire alarm and suppression systems and maintaining fire logbooks, and performing Fire Watch during system failures.
- Participate in KDSB’s Asbestos Management Plan (AMP). This includes but is not limited to monitoring the condition and qualities of asbestos containing materials (ACMs), completing annual inspections and logs, and performing Type 1 and 2 abatements.
- Maintain, repair, clean and service maintenance supplies, tools, and equipment (cleaning equipment, power tools, snow blowers, lawn tractors etc.).
- Show vacant suites and buildings to prospective tenants, deliver tenant notices and aid tenants with requests such as lockouts. Rectify situations where possible and report unresolved matters to the Maintenance Coordinator. Conduct unit inspections and property inspections and report vandalism/maintenance to the Maintenance Coordinator.
- Participate in the after-hours call-out process that ensures the protection of assets and the safety of tenants in the event of an after-hours emergency.
- Assist in monitoring contractor compliance with the requirements of provincial regulations, municipal by-laws, fire codes, building standards and Board policies, procedures, service standards, guidelines, and directives.
- Provide relief coverage for co-workers, mentor casual and student maintenance staff, complete custodial duties, and perform other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will have:
- Knowledge, training and experience in the operation and construction of buildings, their systems, preventive maintenance practices, and have experience in one or more skilled trades.
- A thorough knowledge of general maintenance procedures along with a skill set that includes proficiencies in some or all the following: carpentry, millwork, plumbing, HVAC, onsite sewer and water treatment, and mechanical and electrical systems.
General knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Ontario Building Code, and the Ontario Fire Code.
- Ability to work independently and within a team setting while prioritizing a diversified workload. Good organizational skills, initiative, and ability to perform tasks without close supervision. Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion, work under pressure and with frequent interruptions.
- Requires sufficient communication and interpersonal skills in dealing effectively with management staff, employees, Board members, the public, and tenants, including an appreciation of the need for confidentiality, tact and discretion.
- Ability to read and understand construction and as-built drawings and possess adequate computer skills.
- Requires successful completion of the Operation of Small Drinking Water Systems WCWC course, and successful Limited Systems Operator certification under O.Reg 170/3 and 128/04 of the Safe Drinking Water Act when assigned to communities containing such systems.
Qualifications will include:
- Requires two years’ related experience and one of the following:
1. Completion and certification under an Ontario College of Trades (OCT) Apprenticeship Program and possession of a relatable Tradesperson Certificate (Cabinetmaker, Construction Millwright, Drywall Finisher, Electrician, Facilities Mechanic, Facilities Technician, General Carpenter, Hazardous Materials Worker, Painter and Decorator, Plumber, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic, or Sprinkler and Fire Protection Installer), or equivalent training program through a recognized training and certifying body.
2. Certified through the Building Owners and Management Institute Canada (BOMI Canada) as a Systems Maintenance Technician (SMT) or equivalent certification program with related experience.
- Consideration will be given to those eligible for and willing to complete the OCT Trade Equivalency Assessment process for experienced tradespeople who have not completed an Ontario apprenticeship but have equivalent qualifications and experience in a trade, and who want to become eligible to challenge the certification examination to obtain an Ontario Certificate of Qualification (C of Q) and/or become a member of the College. Alternatively, possesses the relatable experience and is willing to complete the BOMI SMT certification.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check must be provided.
- A valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license is required.
We offer a salary ranging from $26.01 – $31.51 per hour. Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, by email, referencing the competition number in the subject line of the e-mail, to the:
Human Resources Department
Kenora District Services Board
This posting will remain open until filled.
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Confidential information provided by applicants will be used for the purpose of this competition only and will be protected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The KDSB will make accommodations available wherever possible to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. The KDSB is an equal-opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.