Civil Engineering Intern
Website Independent First Nations Alliance
The Independent First Nations Alliance (IFNA) is looking to hire a Civil Technologist
Intern based in the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario. Under the supervision of the Civil
Engineer, this role will assist with and oversee the Infrastructure Services, Water and
Wastewater Systems, Housing and Inspection Services, and oversee the Operations and
Maintenance of First Nations facilities and assets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advise and guide First Nation clients throughout all phases of capital projects (legislative, regulatory, and financial advice).
• Provide First Nations Terms of Reference for feasibility studies.
• Review feasibility studies ensuring scope of work meets the community needs.
• Review designs at various stages in ensuring development in accordance with the Terms of Reference, and meet local, provincial, and/or federal codes, standards, and guidelines.
• Review estimates of construction costs.
• Assist the member First Nation in the post project evaluation to ensure all requirements are met and the facility is performing as intended.
• Advise member First Nations on the development of long-term plans related to the
delivery of safe portable water and the safe disposal of wastewater.
• Advise clients on existing and new engineering and construction practices related to water and wastewater systems.
• Review and advise First Nations on design procedures of water and wastewater systems to ensure all construction complies with current legislation and standards.
• Work with various funding agencies, federal and provincial governments ensuring proposed projects meet necessary requirements.
• Supervise projects ensuring compliance with First Nations plans and budgets.
• Progress reporting to funding agencies, governments, and project lead on projects.
• Prepare timelines for material supplies and human resources required for each project.
Qualifications & Work Experience
• Possess Engineering/Civil diploma.
• Work effectively under pressure and demonstrate exceptional problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work effectively within a team.
• Good understanding and applications of mathematics.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Software proficiency with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office programs.
• Knowledge of Indigenous cultural competencies, practices, and traditions considered an asset.
• Hold valid Ontario ‘G’ License and driver’s abstract.
• Preference will be given to First Nations people.
Deadline: Position will be open until filled.
Salary will be based on a combination of qualifications and experience.
Please forward your resume and cover letter with 3 references to email@example.com
*Only selected candidates will be interviewed for this position.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.