Website Independent First Nations Alliance
Position Title: Land-Based Cultural Worker
Reporting to: Residence Manager
Location: Sioux Lookout
Start Date: Mid-August, for 2023-24 school year
• This position will be based in Sioux Lookout.
• Reporting directly to the Wellness Manager, the Land-Based Cultural Workerwould work to support the students living in the IFNA residences. Providing services to all 30 students on site with the Home Away Program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be a role model and source of guidance for students by demonstrating healthy boundaries
• Plan, Teach and implement Land Based/Cultural Life Skills that align with the communities’ visions and teachings
• Plan and provide Land Based activities such as: Hunting, Trapping, Fishing, Harvesting Medicines.
• Promote, encourage, and implement Native Language and Culture activities
• Build a strong relationship with each student where they are comfortable in expressing themselves in a safe and secure environment
• Engage and interact with the students to encourage and support their wellbeing and development.
• Provide objective documentation; maintain clear and concise daily report for each shift
• Participate in programming that would build stronger connections and support to students
• Communicate and work in collaboration with Education team members in a timely manner
• Transporting and caring for students while receiving services, aide or participating in programming
• Participate in any meetings relating to the students’ activities, development, and successes
• Travel to Student communities during the summers for Land Based Workshops
• Other duties as assigned within the Wellness Department
• OSSGD or equivalent.
• Experience working with First Nations youth
• Familiar with and experience working with Mental Health issues and addictions
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of child development, theory, and practice
• Experience providing crisis intervention services
• Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; ability to speak Oji-Cree; Ojibway or Cree an asset
• Superior judgment and assessment skills
• Experience working as part of a team with the ability to work independently
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Flexibility to work in different environments and settings
• Maintain objectivity when working under pressure
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work cooperatively with service providers and collaborate with other resource persons and facilitate planning and action
• Class G Driver’s license with 3 years driving experience and driver’s abstract
• Must provide Vulnerable Sector Criminal Reference Check
Closing Date: Position open until filled
Start Date: Mid-Late Aug 2023
Salary will be based on a combination of qualifications and experience.
To apply for the Land-Based Cultural Worker position, or for more information –
please email firstname.lastname@example.org