Website Homewood Health
Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
As a Recreation Therapist, you will be an integral part of a collaborative, inter-disciplinary team focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers. If you are looking for a company that is constantly moving forward in pursuit of successful outcomes, get ready to love it here!
Hours of Work: Permanent Part-time, 24.5 hours per week.
What you’ll be doing
• Identify patient-centered goals that lead to outcomes that are meaningful and relevant to the patient and their family, supports and community
• Provide personalized counseling and coaching; develop group and/or individualized programs
• Assume a therapeutic role in the motivation, counselling, supervision and instruction of patients in treatment interventions
• Facilitate and co-facilitate psychoeducational and experiential groups
• Provide the opportunity for leisure skill development in a safe context to experience new behaviours
• Document treatment and ongoing progress on the patient, according to Recreation Therapy, Program and Hospital standards.
• Support individual skill development relating to community leisure resources, which promote integration
• Develop, implement, and evaluate programs based on patient needs
• Conduct ongoing assessment of group readiness and participation with respect to mood, social interaction, functional level, attitude, suicide risk, and behaviours affecting the recovery process
• Utilize individualized assessment and determine individualized intervention based on needs, preferences, strengths, and goals
• Administer, select, interpret Recreation Therapy assessments to determine leisure functioning, leisure needs/problems, utilizing standardized assessment tools and group process, 1:1 interviews, and observation skills
• Provide individual counselling following Recreation Therapy assessment pertaining to findings and specific needs
• Identify recreation and leisure opportunities in the community and provide consultation to other team members
• Effectively communicate and document results of the assessment to the patient, family and team, according to program/discipline standards
What we’re looking for
• Bachelor’s Degree; Recreation Therapy
• Experience working with mental health and addictions populations.
• CPR Certification – Mandatory
• Registration (R/TRO) OR Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) required within 1 year of hire
• Working knowledge of cognitive behavioural therapy and dialectical behavioural therapy an asset
• Experience with Mindfulness and Yoga instruction preferred
• Personal Training/Group Fitness training an asset Comfortable with public speaking and large group facilitation
• Ability to work independently and within a team environment
• Excellent assessment and communication skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Engaging, collaborative and creative, astute to clients’ needs with the ability to adapt and be flexible
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Homewood Health Centre requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!
As an equal opportunity employer, Homewood Health is committed to employment accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion. For this reason, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, racialized and indigenous communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.
To apply for this job please visit clients.njoyn.com.