Destination Ontario Tourism Ambassador
Website Destination Ontario
Summer Employment Opportunity Job Description – 2023
· This summer, join our team and help visitors discover Ontario.
· Work as a Destination Ontario Tourism Ambassador this summer and learn about travel experiences across Ontario – from thrilling attractions to natural wonders and urban adventures.
· Share your learned knowledge and passion with locals and visitors to Ontario to help them have unforgettable travel experiences in our Province.
About Ontario Travel Information Services
· Part of Destination Ontario, an agency of the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
· Ontario Travel Information Services operates 9 Ontario Travel Information Centres (OTICs) across Ontario providing in-person travel information, as well as via the 1-800-ONTARIO toll free tourism information line, by e-mail, mobile and roaming visitor services at events, attractions and tourist areas, and virtually using video conferencing.
· The team of knowledgeable Travel Counsellors provides customized travel information, trip planning and visitor services to locals and visitors to Ontario
The Summer Tourism Ambassador Opportunity:
We value your interest in travel and tourism and want to provide you with the opportunity to broaden your network and gain further knowledge about tourism in Ontario.
Here are just some of the benefits to working as a Destination Ontario Tourism Ambassador.
Receiving paid orientation and training to set you up for success
Participating in tourism product familiarization tours either in-person or virtually
Working a flexible schedule.
Receiving a uniform at no costs to you
Gaining certified customer service and travel counsellor skills through in-person and online training
Receiving mentorship and education from year-round Travel Counsellor staff who can share their knowledge with you about what you need to know about Ontario and how to promote it to visitors from Ontario, the U.S. and overseas.
And that’s not all:
· Receive extensive training on tourism experiences and products across Ontario and on the operations of Ontario Travel Information Services.
· Learn to deliver visitor information services in-person, in the Travel Centre, over the phone (1-800 ONTARIO), by email, etc.
· Potential opportunity to deliver visitor information services within a local and regional community through roaming and mobile visitor services
· Use your research skills to seek out information about tourism experiences, products, and services
· Use and develop your customer service and communications skills by helping visitors plan their travel in Ontario using sales, promotion, and interpersonal skills
· Expand your network by connecting with Tourism Industry Partners for up-to-date information and partnership opportunities
· Experience working in the Ontario Public Service (OPS)
· Opportunity to extend contract after Labour Day possible
· Salary: $16.35/hour
Skills and Knowledge Required
· Passion for travel and tourism
· General knowledge of geography of Ontario
· Curiosity and willingness to learn
· Strong customer service skills through job, educational and voluntary experiences
· Sales, promotion and/or retail experience an asset but not a requirement
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Computer and internet research skills
· Ability to work in a team environment
· Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends, including statutory holidays, as well as weekdays.
· Ability to travel to work off site at key local and regional events, festivals, and attractions
· Fluency/knowledge of another language is considered an asset but not a requirement
· Must be enrolled in a full-time study program (high school, university, college etc.) and intend on returning to school in Fall 2023; and be 26 years of age or less
· Canadian citizen, or be legally entitled to work in Canada
· Available to work mid/late June to September
· Available to work evenings and weekends, up to 36.25 hours/week
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume by email, to the contact in the list below, for that Ontario Travel Information Centre.
Angela Romano, Angela.firstname.lastname@example.org
Sault Ste. Marie
Angela Romano, email@example.com
Toronto, Union Station
Cinzia Worek, Cinzia.firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenn Irving, Jennifer.email@example.com
Lidia Romeo, Lidia.firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosa Liburdi, Rosa.email@example.com
Rosa Liburdi, Rosa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Sylvie Veenstra, email@example.com
Sylvie Veenstra, Sylvie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to high volume of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The OPS is an accessible employer, and we offer accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process. Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, diversity, and inclusion. The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.