Under the direction of the Principal of the Elementary School, the Educational Assistant is responsible for assisting the teacher in the day-to-day needs of the classroom and carrying out the duties listed below which are defined but not limited to;
Summary of Duties:
- Assist in the planning of material and lessons for identified students
- Work with identified students one-on-one or in small groups
- Assist and support classroom management strategies
- Assist in developing IEPs for identified students
- Supervision duties (recess, hallway, breakfast program)
- Assist in marking (non-subjective) assignments
- Engage in meetings and conversations with teachers, parents and other stakeholders when required
- Follow assigned timetable when moving from various classrooms
- Participate in staff, group and other team meetings
- Nurture a culture where teachers/educational assistants view themselves as facilitators of learning and reflective practitioner
- Incorporate local community culture, language and traditions across the curriculum and day
- Standing for periods of time and demonstrating physical skills to students is required. Outside physical activities are an integral part of the locally developed curriculum as such this position will require one to adjust to locally seasonal weather and outside activities accordingly. Depending on the needs of the identified student, lifting/changing and assistance toileting may be required.
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following qualifications. This list will be used to develop a screening tool. It is the responsibility of the candidate to communicate his/her expertise and experience in these areas.
- Mandatory Grade 12 Diploma – Copy of Diploma required
- Post-Secondary Diploma in Educational Assistant or related field (Early Childhood Education Diploma/Youth Worker Diploma) – Copy of Diploma required
- Clear Vulnerable Person Sector Check – Copy required
- Experience working with First Nation students
If candidates don’t possess a post-secondary diploma, unqualified candidates may be considered based on grade 12 and previous working experience with First Nation students.
Candidate must be flexible in their role with the possibility of job placement taking place at both the Children and Family Learning Center and the Elementary School when the need arises.
Incomplete applications WILL NOT be considered & WILL automatically be screened out.
Please forward a cover letter, resume and three professional references by email to
Joni Michano – Human Resources / Payroll Coordinator
Biigtigong Nishnaabeg, P.O. Box 193, Heron Bay, Ontario POT 1RO
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.